PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First NAV
Thread: First NAV
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 16:18
foxmoth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good bits there JR, but some I would take issue with - first, do not draw your track with permanent marker unless you do not want to use the Chart for very long. Also, don't "Constantly check ground features, to confirm that you are where you think you should be." unless that is what your instructor tells you to do - select good ground features at regular intervals (I use 6 minutes -ask your instructor why 6 mins if you do not know), check your position with these, then Put the map away, look out the window and fly the aircraft until approaching your next feature, this way you are more likely to see your features rather than miss them staring at the chart.
As far as "If you really, really think you are wrong, unsure of position or lost, calm down, slow down, fly an orbit and get help on the radio. They can and will help." yes if you are solo, but Batesy is talking about his first nav and he will be with an instructor for the first couple.
As far as what to expect though, it will probably be a 2 leg (ie out and back) nav route, you will expect to do the planning with the instructor showing you how to do it, showing you what to put on the chart, what to put on a nav log and how to work out headings/times etc. - though if you can sort out the whizz wheel beforehand that will help save a lot of time. you will then fly the route, again with help from your instructor after a briefing explaining techniques to use. I am sure your instructor will tell you what he expects anyway.

Last edited by foxmoth; 21st May 2008 at 17:46.