PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Flex / De Rated take offs safe?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 16:07
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You and I know guys are using Flex, planning right into the stopway.
Who says when using flex U HAVE to take the stopway into account?

and that is why they fly right over the fence and call it legal.
Right over the fence? hey, if I get an engine failure at V1 and make 35ft or higher at the end of the runway (and higher over the end of the clearway), with no other obstacles in front, good enough for me. If the obstacles become a problem if I derate and have N-1 @ V1, and the non-derate clears it, why should I derate?

Only an idiot, or someone that truly doens't care about safety, or the passengers in back...would time after time choose to burn up more runway then he has too because 'corporate says we will save some money'. I mean what kind of a tool, would believe that ending up at the end of the runway, with and engine on fire , with only a thousand feet to go, then a stopway is safer then having another 4500 ft to go
If you're implying that everyone derates to the extent that it won't meet their TODR and ASDR, then you're the idiot. You can derate to the extent that your TODR and ASDR matches TODA and ASDA (you can include or not include the stopway, your choice)... Of course, for you, it's not safe because using that method you cannot abort past V1 eh? Btw, how much past V1 do you want to abort anyway? Vlof? V2? VMBE? Vmo?

To put it simply, you can only derate as far as the resultant take off and climb profile meets the regulations! Now if you think the regulatory requirements of "flying off the fence everytime" then change the regulations... Shoving a higher screen height, you can still derate!

Guess what, derate to the extent that you still got a spare, means you have a lower Vmcg, so derate to the extent that your ASD and TOD still gives some spare (without the use of stopway) with VMCG as your V1, and will be able to fulfill your seemingly lifelong ambition, that is to abort past V1 everytime and still stop in time!

Who you trying to kid anyways? The Teletubbies?

There was a case here where an engine is known to have high EGT (it was creeping up with each take off), and the ops guys with the maintenance guys wants to pull the engine off line. The aircraft came in for a C check. It was estimated that the maintenance would cost 30k USD. Another aircraft was coming out of maintenance, but the engines hadn't finished, the management insisted to get the aircraft flying at all cost despite the ops and maintenance guys saying no.

It was going to be a long weekend, and extra flights were already planned, and it was that aircraft that was gonna take the extras. So, ops placed the aircraft on mandatory derate (except when wet). With extra load, some take offs wouldn't be legal on a derate, ops wanted to offload, the management wanted to keep the load, and yes, ssg, they said what you said... "it'll take a shorter runway, so if the engine quit, there's more stopping distance!"

Guess what? Not only that the management didn't want to off load... Halfway through the 16th flight out of the shop, the engine seized and the engine had to be sent to the shop. Engine repair costs? 300k USD! That's one extreme example of derate cost savings... *grin* (it was a CFM56-3)

But normally, if I was given the right numbers, the savings per flight on a 737-classics using derate t/o and climb whenever possible (with the company policy of not using stopway as ASD calculations), was about USD 50 per cycle, with all runways within the company's network being 2500m or less (except 5 airports, which had 3000m runways). The aircraft would normally do 8 - 10 cycles a day, so it'll save about 100 k- 150k USD a year by derating. That'll pay a few people's salaries over here.

We discovered that this experienced so called pilot was infact a 12 year old kid who was merrily googling his answers on the internet and somehow getting a kick by playing out his act. He fooled a lot of airline and corporate pilots for some time.
Well Pace, ssg could be on of them! LOL. I could be one of them, heck, any one of us could be a 12 yr old sim pilot with too much time on their hands.

Over here we got someone who went around with a fake crew tag, and convinced enough people he was a crew member with his talk, until he ran into a gate agent who knew the game and called security. If you wanna see someone leaving the terminal with such speed, you should have seen this guy!!!!

On the other hand, I've met a captain who thinks a 72kt wind aloft will break your plane apart and uses LDA against his TODR. I avoid paxing on his airline with good reason! But then, that fake guy I mentioned above uses this airline as his claimed employer... now why am I not surprised...

PK-KAR