PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutted - Failed class 1 Ocular Muscle Balance
Old 21st May 2008, 15:19
matt_hooks
Wunderbra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peppl, I know exactly how you feel.

I had the exact same experience, with the same problem.

I now have my class 1 CAA medical and lots of lovely expensive licences. Depending on the severity of the problem, it can be improved/resolved in a number of ways.

If you are only just outside the limit then it's possible that exercises prescribed by your optometrist might bring you within limits. This was not an option for me as I was something like 12 times outside the limits, even though as you say I'd never had any problems with double vision or anything like that.

I got a referral from my doctor to an opthalmic surgeon. I had to pay for the first appointment with him as a private patient, but he said that the problem was fixable with surgery, and that because of possible future problems if it was left untreated he could carry out the surgery on the NHS.

Where are you based peppl? If you want pm me and I can give you contact details for the surgeon who fixed my eye. He was extremely helpful and interested in the aero-medical stuff, he might be able to help out, or might know someone local to you that can carry out the procedure if necessary.

I know having surgery seems like a bit of an extreme option, but it's day surgery, the risks for a healthy young person are minimal and if it allows you to follow your dream then I think it's worth it!