PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Water Ditching
Thread: Water Ditching
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008, 04:26
TwinHueyMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Rolling in any direction is an old wive's tale, discredited by the flight manuals and military procedures for several years now, but awfully hard to wipe from public memory."

The Army still teaches rolling right to stack the broken blades over the tail and thus not impede exiting from the cabin. At HUET they preached rolling and not riding it straight down, as the helicopter will roll eventually and better to get it rolling and done while still early in the crash sequence -- the dunker machine is set up to roll immediately when it contacts the water to teach such a little event.

Plus the Robby POH says roll left, no clue why left but it says roll.

Personally, I don't care what kind of top gun maneuver the pilot pulls after hitting the water, and I doubt it makes too much of a difference what he does, but it still is actively being preached! I still believe that doing a good auto to 20 feet and pulling the crud out of the collective while leaping from the cockpit is the most appealing option in my eyes... no need to escape a twisted wreck; it's just like doing a dive off the high jump with a fat kid rolling in with a cannonball on top of you.

Mike