PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 21:52
SR71

Mach 3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Several posters here have thrown out some outlandish concepts regarding locked flight controls and so forth, and then asked the utterly ridiculous question as to whether one will continue the flight or not. Clearly when flight is not at all possible one will not...that shouldn't even need to be dignified by discussion...but where the airplane will fly and is able, there's just no good reasont to stay on the ground. Even in a Lear. With a drogue chute...
With great respect to the crew of AA191, I bet they were pretty unimpressed with the outlandish event which led to them losing No 1...after all, initially, the indications probably just looked like any other engine failure...

Diesel8,

Un-commanded slat retraction - 1979, AA191

Obvious control jam, hard-over - 2001, LH A320 Cross-wired Sidestick

Double engine failure - 2001, S360 departure from EDI

Say again, what you think is impossible?

The point is, that there may come a time, when near, at, or above V1 you might be called upon to make a decision about whether or not your aircraft is able to fly...

...there's just no good reason to stay on the ground...
I figure the fact I don't have feathers is a pretty good reason...

The problem is, that regardless of what decision you make at that point, if the outcome is successful its self-justifying...but whether or not there was a better outcome, will always be debatable. Plus, you'd be a brave pilot to admit as much, esepcially if there were fatalaties...

When operating at the edge of the envelope, I prefer not to extrapolate based on the norm...that is bad practise in any mathematician's book...

Hoping it never happens to me....