View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 20:23
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerobatics in rotary

Hallo lads,

A thread quite dear to my heart.

Its a consideration ... I won't call it a problem ... that I have had to address for thirty-five years. I'm about to run through my One thousand, two hundred and thirteenth public display next month at London City Airport, so it is always important that the rules aren't bent. Insurance is also a major consideration.

As has been noted here, I refer to my air shows as 'display flying.' and being a DAE it is important that intending DAs understand the basics.

Having discussed the matter with the safety regulation guys at the display division of our CAA, the numbers that seem to be accepted are 'any manoeuver that doesn't exceed either 90 degrees in roll or 60 degrees in pitch.'

That seems reasonable to me. Of course the BK 105 and the Lynx manoeuvres leave that defintion for dead.

As to exessive changes in attitude, I'd like to think that my standard display routine stays well within the requirement there. I routinely place my pace notes on the seat alongside me and they do need to stay there throughout the sequence.

Out of interest, and before I finally quit the display scene, I plan to produce a display manual for DAEs. I just feel that the basics I have learnt over the years need to be formally set out somewhere.

As I have oft quoted here ... I dearly want to see some younger pilots come in to the display scene when my hat is finally put to bed.

Take care all and safe flying,

Dennis Kenyon.