PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - David Dixon (Former Chairman Helicopter Board Of Examiners) RIP
Old 20th May 2008, 19:49
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A DD Tribute

Hallo guys,

I was wth JR last evening talking through some of the treasured memories of David Dixon. One particular story I have mentioned elsewhere is the time in the 1970s when David visited our new business at Shoreham to take a look at the spanking new Enstrom.

I knew the Enstrom marque pretty well, and soon found myself watching David entering a full autorotation to the ground ... now I know the man is ex military trained, is one of the UK's very top instructors and examiners, and probably has zillions of hours. But this is a new type to him, and I'm intrigued to see how he will cope in a type he hasn't flown before.

All I can say is the man completed as good an engine off landing to the ground as I had ever seen.

Yes David was a giant of our industry, a charming guy and an immensely competent pilot. I just wish I'd known the David better to have partaken in some of the more robust outings I read about here.

So the purpose of my post is I to say I am tasked with writing a tribute for the aviation press. I refuse to call it an obituary! I need lots of anecdotes, stories and experiences any of you guys have of the great, late David Dixon. Please either post them here, or e-mail me on [email protected].

Thanks to all and a fond farewell to a wonderful man and pilot.

Thanks,

Dennis Kenyon.