PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAL sued over 911
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2001, 00:49
caulfield

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we all had two responses to 911;firstly,overwhelming grief and then ANGER.How was it possible?Now that a suitable time period has elapsed,it is perhaps time to see some heads roll.
I have every sympathy for this poor woman but her anger is misdirected;the real culprit here is the FAA and by association,the Dept of Transport,and ultimately the US government itself.

I know hindsight is 20/20 but there were some rather conspicuous pointers that something like this was being planned;the foiled attempt to simultaneously hijack several 747's a while back,the Seattle millenium celebration attempt.Not to mention the WTC bombing,USS Cole and the embassy bombings.If we add the Lockerbie disaster (of which there was credible intelligence prior to the incident)to this long list,it would be fair to say that people should have been more careful.
All this post 911 legislation(re-empowering the CIA/baggage checks on domestic flights etc) is fine but the horse has already bolted.
The FAA have been applying tombstone technology in the field of aviation safety for too long and it finally caught up with them big time.
Does this poor woman have a case?Absolutely.But not against UAL who have suffered so much already.

[ 23 December 2001: Message edited by: caulfield ]</p>