PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Flex / De Rated take offs safe?
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 14:40
ssg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mutt, You have never seen airliners routinely use up all the runway to get off?

The US corporate fleet isn't allowed to run thier engines out to 20000 thousand hours based on the say so of a guy with a boroscope...engines come off at time and cycle limits...there is no incentive to reduce power for take off to extend engine life, because, the engines come off when they come off, evidentely, thousands of hours before the airliners do.

While reduced power is available in some of the larger corporate jet, it tends to be used, as I have,...when the runway is very long, the airplane is light, the assigned alt is very low, nice day...ect ect...and the numbers are such that balanced field for the reduced numbers usualy have another 5000 ft added to them...very safe..

While I can't speak for all corporate operators, any more then anyone here to can speak for all airline operators, I have never in 20 years of flying had anyone tell me they were reducing thrust so they could 'add reliability' to thier engines...I have never seen anyone burn up more runway using reduced thrust so 'thier flight will be safer'

Last edited by ssg; 20th May 2008 at 14:52.