PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain Sir - I have control.
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 13:41
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"not stabilized go around"
"negative we continue"
"I say again not stabilized go around"
"negative"
"xxx twr abc123 going around"
Still no response?.....
I see no reason why not to reach for the gear handle at that point?
A situation very similar to this has happened very recently in Europe so don't think it can not happen.
If the Garuda 737 first officer had taken decisive action by selecting gear up after the captain had disregarded 12 GPWS warnings and his own first officer imploring him to go - around, it is highly probable that this dreadful accident would never have taken place. The point of this thread is that when the captain is fanatically intent on landing no matter what danger, the gear up option by the first officer is a last ditch action. By all means make the normal warning calls of "Please captain etc" but there has been no shortage regretfully of culture dispossessing common sense and a blazing wreck is the result.
Given the fixation by the PF, the PNF raising the gear in that accident may have just resulted in the landing belly first... but we'll never know. The problem I have with that accident is, the PNF appears not assertive enough, even by Garuda's standards. Another few occasion where the PNF took over involved something between what the PNF did in that accident, and what's suggested in this topic.

But yes, pull up the landing gear, you gotta make sure it'll snap the PF out of it. Previous events indicate that the first officer screaming his head off "NOT STABILIZED, MY CONTROLS, GOING AROUND" has been enough to snap the captain out of it and he reactively took his hands and feet off the controls and throttle. That happened 2x to the same F/O if I remember correctly.

PK-KAR