PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High court finds air traffic controllers guilty over JAL near miss accident
Old 20th May 2008, 13:02
Moira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SloMoe, frankly, I appreciate your contributions but PLEASE keep them a bit shorter! The way you are writing full length articles now, if I were a politician I'd consider employing you as my ghost writer : at the end of the story nobody can remember what you started with - which may be ideal if you're running for president, but not if you want to keep an on-line discussion going!

With regard to the original subject of this thread, the following should more or less cover the content of the original article:

The Tokyo High Court has found two air traffic controllers guilty of professional negligence resulting in injury following a near miss between two Japan Airlines planes in 2001, overturning an earlier district ruling that had declared them not guilty.
The court sentenced Yasuko Momii, 39, to 18 months' imprisonment, suspended for three years, and Hideki Hachitani, 33, to one year imprisonment, also suspended for three years.

It was the first ruling in Japan holding air traffic controllers responsible for a near miss accident. Their lawyers plan to file an appeal against the ruling. In handing down the ruling on Friday, Presiding Judge Masaru Suda said, "Aviation accidents can end up as catastrophes, instantly claiming the lives of many passengers. To ensure safety, an extremely high standard of care is demanded from air traffic controllers."

The judge accepted a causal relationship between the mix-up in flight numbers and the near miss, saying that the accident would not have occurred had the defendants provided correct air traffic instructions.
Lawyers for the pair argued that it was impossible to foresee the accident, but the court rejected their claim.

Last edited by Moira; 20th May 2008 at 14:01.