PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OpenSkies? Sell your soul
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 09:36
Mike Mercury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious Apologies

Apologies in advance for thread creep, but I think this is relevant. A bit of general browsing led me to the EZY to BA thread, where I read the following. I believe it says alot about the entire BA WAY as applied throughout that Company. Nothing personal chaps. (my italics)

Wingswinger said:
I'd like to echo what NSF has said. I am an ex-BA captain who had to leave under the old retirement age rule (six months too old to stay). I've been with EZY just over two years and I enjoy it. No whinging culture, no back-biting, no inter-department jealousies, just folks coming in to do their jobs in as friendly and as co-operative a manner as they can. The SOPs are less prescriptive, no part of manual flyng is discouraged or banned and there is plenty scope for concepts such as common sense, airmanship and initiative. I had more personal satisfaction in my first 17 months with EZY than I did in 17 years in BA. It helps, of course, that the company is still expanding and creating opportunities. In sum, I work harder than I did in BA, I'm paid less but I enjoy it more, and - this is the crucial bit - I am treated much more like a captain than I ever was in BA.

Sadly, I don't have a megapension like some of my erstwhile colleagues to whom NSF refers (only 17 years, you see, preceded by 17 years in the RAF) so I'm still full-time and will be for the foreseeable future.

I do miss the nightstops in 5-star city-centre hotels, though!
No mention of scabs either....