PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 20th May 2008, 08:03
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spent another 2 years in a job and a lifestyle I hated, cursing the fact I wasn't flying.
Did that myself.

The point I'm making is that I had to go through a world of grief to get to this stage. It's been a very costly journey, financially and emotionally. I know others who've had it much worse.
Ditto

Sad but true, the 21st century airline pilot has more in common with David Brent than Chuck Yeager or Antoine de St-Exupery.
Absolutely.

At the end of the day you work for your kids and the most valuable thing you can give them is your time. Not money.
With one little sprog already here and another on the way. I regret all time away from him. On top of that, the type of flying I do is that much more risky than you being an 'Bus driver over the Atlantic. I have had pause for thought, wondering if the risk is worth the reward now that I have responsibilities. Even now I am tailoring my career expectations and would hope to avoid a flying job that takes me away a lot. Suddenly Ryanair looks attractive (gulp!)

So there is a common experience here in this thread among people who do fly for a living. It not easy and many fall by the wayside. But if you really want it you will get there eventually.

Remember at the end of the day, It's just a bloody job. I always say that for all the trials and tribulations of becoming a pilot. It's not a sad story. I enjoyed every minute of it, bar a flight test or two. Nobody should have any sympathy for sad pilots. We are all volunteers.

Now I have to go, I have an aeroplane to ferry for maintenance. But, you know, I'd rather stay in bed. Having said that I will enjoy the trip once I get going.