PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Knowing what you know now about this game, wud you have done it all in the 1st plce?
Old 20th May 2008, 08:03
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I most certainly wouldn't do it again. The sentiments of Luke are shared by myself. I'm considering going back to my old career.

This is a career for the young single person, with money to blow and little ties to a family.

Your life is owned by crewing and rostering, and I find myself wishing I had more time with my young family, and certainly wish I had more money. I spend an abnormal amount of time worrying about the cost of living, and I don't have any debts to pay off.

The industry has been ruined by a variety of factors, bean-counters, but also through the willingness of those to work for free, pay for a TR and line training. The likes of CTC have alot to answer for.

As a result, and as an F/O, you are treated as a mere commodity. I can only see conditions deteriorating to such an appalling level that no sensible person would consider it. The time will come when captains are not in short supply too, and the same will apply to them. I flew with a captain the other day, 17 years as a skipper on jets and 15K+ hrs who was considering paying for a 777 rating so he could go long haul and have a 'better' quality of life. I think it's a mad state of affairs. Does experience count for nothing anymore?

You don't want to be asking yourself 'what-if?' but you also need to avoid the 'what was I thinking?'