PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not flown for 5 Months
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 07:53
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Many schools have a 6 month check requirement for PPLs hiring from them. Ours is probably typical in that there is at least 30 mins before flight (not charged for separately!) for a review of the paperwork, how the tech log works, log book & licence/rating/medical and questionnaire/mass & balance. Sometimes you spot thigns like an imminently expiring medical or revalidation which saves time and money for the pilot.There are clearly defined minimum flight items required and the flight usually takes an hour.

I ask people if there's anything else they'd like to brush up on. Sometimes the same stuff every 6 months can get a bit predictable, I well remember that from my own PPL-checkout days. So, if the pilot would rather practice some nav or maybe VOR/NDB tracking, that's fine. Also, if someone is hiring and hasn't done a nav for a while, we're always pleased to spend some time going over their plan or suggesting trips/routes for them.

Many schools and instructors give their time on the ground for free and are glad to do so. Perhaps we should get more like solicitors and accountants and charge for ALL time spent with a client!

TheOddOne