PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US ‘Public Use’ aviation – what are the airworthiness implications?
Old 20th May 2008, 03:54
HeliMark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chas, first off, yes there are bad apples. Luckily very very few.

Something that you may, or may not know. When the military "gives" away surplus aircraft to public entities, it really makes a number of people in the industry mad. It does not matter that the aircraft is put into as good or better shape then it was in the military. Gosh, how dangerous is this aircraft flying over the city, but not so if the military is flying it. You have to buy from us. It is the only safe thing to do, just forget that it is almost identical to what I sell the military. A money thing.

And I know of no agency that does not use rated, experienced mechanics to maintain their aircraft(s). Instead of using the civilian checklist, they use the military version for military aircraft.

And show me any agency that does not use rated pilots. The ones that get in-house training are trained as any pilot would, except most of the time more advanced, and all get their FAA license. Otherwise they get kicked out of the program. And like what someone said earlier, the normal path is ground pounder, then picked as an observer and work as an observer for several years. Then a pilot position and after passing what is required, that person is watched over very closely until they get a good amount of experience.

And like what Shawn said, a Police helicopter that both the pilot and observer who are policeman(women) make a more effective team. And this does not mean that the pilot is any less professional then you are.

And yes, I am a current police pilot flying a single engine turbine helicopter over a major city at night.