PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing drop
Thread: Wing drop
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2008, 01:40
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Lister

I used to regularly use the thermals to help me climb the Cub on hot days - especially 2 up with full fuel - I was amazed just how effective they were in helping me climb away. And when you get near to cloudbase you can throttle right back (with carb heat out) and actually still seee the altimeter winding up the altitude.........

But I was a glider pilot before I was a PPL so that helped me................ :-)

A trip to Tibenham for a couple of trips in the motorglider will really open your eyes to the benefits of thermals in a safe environment............

With regard to your other question - the Cub out of balance, in a thermal will drop a wing and you need to have this demonstrated to you. A competant instructor will demo this at height and you will see that it can indeed be (I hesitate to use the word vicious but) pronounced or surprising............. if you are low the results are obvious, also be aware of the torque effect of the engine/prop, so...... nose high, light AUW, low power settings or high power settings (torque+direction), out of balance, plus thermic instability may well produce a pronounced wing drop. Recovery is standard but maybe get Linda or Gerry to demo it for you - once you've seen it - you'll recognise its onset and recovery is standard as you have been taught (power plus control column centrally forward and rudder neutral).

Nothing to be scared of but aware is good

Regards from NZ by the way, good to see you still enjoying yourself.

Arc