PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Blue on-board announcements
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 22:09
RadioSaigon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has turned out to be a thoroughly entertaining thread! I have to say, I've been a little gob-smacked by some of the attitudes apparent, particularly those by presumed 'professional' pilots -I assume you have your red rat teddy bears handy boys???

It appears that Captain Barry Strongjaw, he of the steely gaze, heroic deed and gravitas extremis is amongst us! Apparently we should all bow down before him, resplendent in his gold braid and tug our forelocks in respect and gratitude for his gracing our lowly presence. Heaven forbid we express an opinion contrary his, lest our professionalism be called into question!!!

I said it before -in case you missed it the 1st time, here it is again: FFS get off your high-horses.

Originally Posted by distracted cockroach
Personally, I would like to thank every other PROFESSIONAL pilot here for taking themselves and life seriously. Likewise the Flight Attendants.
I really wonder how, in your opinion, the fact that I may use humour in the several thousand safety briefings that I have personally delivered, makes my delivery of that safety briefing or my conduct of the flight any less professional?

Originally Posted by A37575
These peurile public address announcements are not subject to regulatory approval.
I beg to differ. I think you'll find that the content of safety briefings is indeed a matter of regulatory definition and approval. The delivery however, is left to the operator's discretion.

Originally Posted by A37575
Compared with the carefully worded skilled (professional?) PA announcements by not only Qantas...
You forgot to mention "delivered in a mind-numbing, bored, distracted monotone by someone making it plain that they would rather be doing anything else", for that has surely been my experience.

Originally Posted by Jamair
Visualise if you will, the AFTERMATH of an aircrash. Imagine the result of a smarmy, 'clever', 'funny' SAFETY briefing, with passengers still trapped in the fuselage because they did not hear the important message of how to exit... yadda yadda yadda
I added the 'yadda's'!

From what I've witnessed of these so-called 'professional' safety briefings, the vast majority of the pax subjected to it are totally disengaged and disinterested, paying more attention to their magazines, iPods's, the kid in the row behind them or anything other than the monotonous drone issuing from the PA. The VB announcements however, as I said in a previous post seem to capture people's attention and IMO are far more likely to be effective at both getting the message across and ensuring the message is retained and acted upon "in the highly unlikely event of an emergency".

I reckon Captain Barry Strongjaw needs to seriously consider getting the hell out of his ivory cockpit, down from the lofty heights of his wallet and re-engage not only with reality and humour, but with the average joe punter that occupies everything aft of row 0A.