PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - use of reverse?
Thread: use of reverse?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 19:29
inbalance

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
just to mention that for a jet (not familiar with turboptos) the reverse are never taken into consideration during the certification process, and all computed perfo...perfo that will be used trhough the afm for operationnal calculations..
That doesnīt help me. Because everybody tells me that, but nobody can prove it for FAR 23 Aircraft. I have asked Examiners, Flightinstructors and a lot more People, and they all told me that you canīt use the reverser for calculation.
But when I asked them where to find the Law, they all replied I donīt know, some guy told me years ago.
It isnīt in JAR-OPS, not in national Law and not in the POH of our Aircraft.
So where can I find it in written form?

Thats what FAR 23 says about braking:

(f) Retardation means other than wheelbrakes may be used if that means -

(1) Is safe and reliable;

(2) Is used so that consistent results can be expected in service; and

(g) If any device is used that depends on the operation of any engine, and the landing distance would be increased when a landing is made with that engine inoperative, the landing distance must be determined with that engine inoperative unless the use of other compensating means will result in a landing distance not more than that with each engine operating.

Maybe someone can correct me:
According to FAR 23, when I make a single engine Landing, I have to calculate without the reverser. That means I have to divert if the destination isnīt long enough. But for a normal landing with both engines operative, I can calculate including reverse.

Inbalance

Last edited by inbalance; 19th May 2008 at 19:39.