PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you actually fail your cross country?
Old 21st Dec 2001, 11:01
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
If as my chum Noggin suggests, an 'unsatisactory' 150nm has not been repeated following further training, as an Examiner I would not consider that all training requirements had been properly completed prior to the Skill Test and I would not test the 'applicant'.

Some years ago I was flying a dual navex which included a join, circuit and departure at Wellesbourne. We could hardly get a word in edgewise due to the very helpful A/G operator trying to assist an obviously hopelesly lost pilot from S*******n on his qualifying cross-country. When I got back I rang the club at S*******n to advise them that whoever it was who was blundering around was clearly not ready for such a test and had been a hazard to himself and everyone else. Their reply? "Well - just so long as he gets his signatures on the form"......

I too have failed 'applicants' (rarely, fortunately) who simply haven't been taught to navigate properly, relying on map reading and track crawling to get them through to their turning points. That and/or PFLWOPs are the most common fail item on the PPL Skill Test; navigation isn't difficult - it just requires a methodical and disciplined approach and the ability to tell ones ar$e from one's elbows!

[ 21 December 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]</p>