PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 09:22
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>In my short time flying a Learjet I noted that many of the Captains in that world had been so from an early stage and had not done much time in the right seat.As a result they had nowhere near such a breadth of experience and many of their ideas were self developed and guess what - nobody in the right seat was going to put them down so it must be a good idea!<

Stan I would go with some of what you are saying here. Before I flew as a Captain on business jets a flew with a number of Captains as a co-pilot. The ex airline ones were great to fly with some of the others were awful and expected you there as a sack of potatoes to make the flight legal.

Some were so single pilot minded that with one in particular all I got to do was to play with a second GPS and position plot on a chart. Everything else including the radio was his. It was a soul destroying experience.

I hope I have not come across as questioning the abilities of Airline pilots or their vast experience or knowledge. That was not my intention.

Having said that we operate in a different invironment. I have done a certain amount of ferry work. One business jet in particular was a wreck I brought back from India which was old and developed more problems on route than I would like to remember. The whole nature of that type of flying is that you do have to think on the hoof more.

The airline pilot works under much stricter rules into bigger airports with the added responsability of 300 odd lives in the back so how we fly and where we come from does make a difference to how we see things.

I like to try and be as professional as possible all I have said in this flame war thread is that there are rare occasions where it is better to ignore V1 especially if the runway is long enough for the aircraft you are flying and remain on the ground even if it means taking out a hedge or two than falling into the ground from a thousand feet.

As In my example of the Kingair 350 ferry above (not my ferry btw)on a rare occasion it might be better to fly an ILS to the ground in fog, breaking landing minima, than to run out of fuel.

Ie there are rare occasions when the books have to go out of the window because they do not cover every scenario.

Pace