PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Flex / De Rated take offs safe?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2008, 00:44
ssg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok...lets talk engines..

All the airline pilots in here that have removed, replaced, bid. boroscoped, bought, sold, leased, argued for parts, and decided which components to install on thier new jet engines...please raise your hands..

I didn't think so.

All the airline pilots in here that have flown one plane to overhaul then actualy seen how thier actual flying habits have affected those particular engines..please raise thier hands

I didn't think so.

--------------
Engines are certified and built based max thrust take offs, max cruise speeds ...to make it to designated overhaul times...say 3500-5000 hours.

I won't argue that taking better care of an engine, or running them right doesn't help...they do..that's why my overhauls and hots are really cheap...but if you trying to tell me that the trade off between flying it to the fence in a Flex take off is the exta safety of un worked, more reliable engine...that's really a stretch..

And it still won't make a diff when that flock of birds, bad fuel, puddle of water goes into your ultra reliable, unworked, babied engine, at the end of the runway....