PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you abort after V1?
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2008, 23:04
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a light twin (seneca) I'd stop if I was still on the runway (there is no V1), plus at 80kts or there abouts chances are you'd stop on the runway or have a very low speed over-run. But in an airliner, above V1, I'm going, unless a catastrophic failure prevents me getting airborne.
Now you're getting into the differences between part 23 airplanes and Part 25 transport category airplanes. Establishing V1 for a part 23 isn't standard; most don't have that capability, so it's really irrelevant to the discussion of continuing or rejecting past V1. Most light twin pilots tend to go by the rule of thumb that the refusal point is the gear in the wells, and many don't put the gear in the wells until there's no more chance landing back on the runway. That logic just doesn't work for transport category aircraft.

In other words, could you just be aggresive on the reversers (till 60kt) and not that hard on the brakes (assuming that you have plenty of space to slow down) ?

The general theory behind autobrakes; excepting maximum settings, reverse thrust doesn't decrease the stopping distance, but reduces the amount of braking required, making for cooler brakes Rejected takeoff autobrakes (RTO brakes) tend to deliver full braking pressure such that reverse is additive to the stopping distance. In general reversers aren't so much for stopping as reducing the thermal energy absorbed by the brakes.
And no NOWADAYS the route to airline pilot is not the route you took.
I suggest you are out of touch with the route to right seat in a 737/A319 Nowadays?
No, as I said before you make far too many assumptions in ignorance. I didn't tell you what I do for a living. I'm certainly not out of touch with the path to the right or left seat of an airliner these days. You, however, not being there yourself, certainly are. Think about it.