PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does de use of met. radar really avoids bird strike?
Old 18th May 2008, 18:33
airfoilmod

Bats and Birds (Dolphins?)

Moon, I meant no disrespect. This is Tech and not JB. Batstrikes may not happen because of the way the little mammals Navigate. Theirs is not "Radar", but "Sonar", another ....ar. No jokes about not knowing of Dolphin strikes. Birds are simply put, lizards with feathers, they flock like fish, and move as a group, frequently. Bats are independent cusses, and arguably more intelligent than a lizard, which will run in front of a snake, and become lunch. Birds are also territorial, and by the time they understand what a BIG bird is doing challenging their territory, they hit the big metal Bird, Window, Fan, etc. If birds were smart, they would not be a problem. If a bird is in migrate mode, and gets a conflicting interrogation from an A/C, will he change direction to avoid? or to Defend? or continue with an enroute change in flightplan? These are legitimate questions, ones I am proud to say elude my understanding. Stupid question #1: What if it is determined Wx attracts birds? I'd ask, but I don't speak Birdu.