PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does de use of met. radar really avoids bird strike?
Old 18th May 2008, 18:07
moonburn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
open minds ?

The use of wx to scare away birds has long been debated.
the practice was first recommended to me some 25 years ago by very experienced ! african type freight dogs whose experience I rated highly and who have probably saved my life several times over through other such pearls of wisdom / old wive's tales ( let the reader choose )
Such comments as "it does not" are without foundation and suggest that some individuals have attained a level of knowledge with which they are satisfied. We shall no doubt read about them in the future !
The short answer is that we don't know, however any attempts to investigate the subject, such as in Venice can only add to our armoury and are to be applauded.
As for old habits and ignorance, there is absolutely no need to " save " the radar , this is a throw back to the bad old days when wx overheated regularly and did indeed have to be used sparingly. The continuation of this modern myth has lead to many pilots who are quite happy to fly around at night without the radar on until they actually encounter cloud ( for some strange reason the largest proportion of these are Italian, anyone know why ? )
To conclude, we suspect that birds may use the earth's magnetic field to navigate, therefor it is not unreasonable to expect that they could be sensitive to electro magnetic pulses of other types is it ?
Let's keep an open mind boys and constantly question our understanding of things, that seems to have served us very well so far.