PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you choose, R22 or 300CBi if a similar price?
Old 18th May 2008, 12:20
VeeAny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn’t go as far to say I’ve got loads of hours on the 300 but it is upwards of 1000 on type. There is at least one poster on this thread who has if memory serves me rightly at least three times that in 300s and operates at least two of them in the UK.

Downsides
There are some downsides to the 300 from an ownership perspective when compared to the R22 which I see as follows

They are more expensive to buy.
The 269s are more maintenance intensive than the R22
There are fewer type experienced engineers around in the UK.

Purchase Options
There are at least two ways to look at the new and used options (regardless of the type)
  • New
    Some things that break will be under warranty (not all of them) so maintenance bills are more controllable, at least initially.
    Bigger initial outlay (and higher monthly repayments) and higher insurance due to the higher hull value.
  • Used
    Cheaper initial outlay and lower insurance due to lower hull value.
    You are effectively buying an unknown quantity, you don’t know who has done what to it beforehand.
    Maintenance bills are less controlled, and parts tend to require replacement just because they are older. If you buy used make sure it gets surveyed.

Things Not To Do
If you are going to buy, a new one, don’t get talked into to the two tank option on the CBi unless all you want to do is fly solo until your bladder explodes. It just increases the empty weight and is almost unusable if flying two up (like when its being used for instruction). Remember the CBi MAUW is 300lbs less than most Cs.

Techie Stuff
The 300 internal (charging) Hour Meter is driven by MRGB oil pressure. The external one is operated by a microswitch on the FWD left undercarriage leg, and so is an accurate record of how long you have been off the ground (when it works). You need to monitor it closely as they do stick and flight time can go unrecorded.

The life limited components are on the Schweizer website in a pdf document which can be found here.
Remember also that whilst these are the recommnended figures for component replacement, not everything will make its scheduled life (apllies just as much to R22s), but somethings you cannot foresee.

The replacement cost of a lot of (if not all) the components can be found in the pricebook which can be downloaded here.

Summary
The 300 vs R22 debate has been to done to death on Pprune and the outside world may times over, and like you say that’s not what you are interested in.

Flashover is right, I love training in the 300 it is what it was built for. If I could afford to run a school I’d choose 300s every day. However I would certainly advocate anyone who wants to progress in the industry to get R22 type rated (because you will end up working somewhere that has them at some point, so why cut yourself out of the race for jobs at the first hurdle), and if they are not R22 rated by the time they are due to start an instructor course then I would suggest they complete their entire course on one. Teaching in an R22 with 280hrs and 15 on type, 10 of which you did solo (assuming JAA rules) is not the best starting point to be in as an instructor IMHO (doesn't mean it can't be done).

If you can make it available for a similar price I believe you will have a market, there a quite a few 300 rated pilots around the London area with little to fly (not nothing) after the demise of BHH.