PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would you choose, R22 or 300CBi if a similar price?
Old 18th May 2008, 10:47
Pigeon-dodger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your question is not realistic, it costs a lot more money to purchase the 300 than the R-22 and the 300 has higher routine maintenance & overhaul costs.
I agree it costs more to buy but in theory it could, or should, cost less per hour if you got good utilisation as the parts last a lot longer (4000 hrs for the expensive bits). The other big annual costs are insurance and finance but what i am not telling you here is I have solution to reduce these costs. If I could get 250 hours a year usage i think I could make it the same price as an R22 (maybe £10 or £15 more an hour). Is 250 hours a realistic figure????

Sorry to say but you are wrong mate. I have done commercial work in the 300c and 300cbi and they are both flown from the left seat.
Its an option, they come standard right PIC but you buy option for left PIC and third seat. Nearly all get the option.

One minor point that not many people bring up is this: the hobbs on an R22 starts when the engine is started (when the oil pressure gauge is in the green), the hobbs on the 300's start when you lift off the ground. At least they used to, are the newer models the same??
You have both on the 300CBi I think. Student is charged engine stop to engine start (it is also what they log and what all other schools do) so to be comparative to the R22 you have to do the same. Don't think you will be ripping the student off if it takes them 10 - 15 hours less to get their licence as you are competing with R22 and they dont exactly advertise it could take you a lot longer......

Heli-phile
If You could operate a 300c for the same price as a R22 There would be very few people bothering with the R22......
This is what I agree with the most....before I part with my hard earned cash just want to get some feedback that 'in principle' it's a good idea if I can get the finances to work. I want to offer a great helicopter at a great price. I am not niave to think it will make lots of money, it won't...but if it 'washes its face' and is wanted...I will probably go ahead. Will buy new or nearly new...