PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged Keratoconus thread
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2008, 02:15
colt_pa22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bucks,

It's been a few month since your treatment, how are your eyes going?

I'm 23 and was first diagnosed with this condition at the age of 17, and was then only just was able to obtain my initial Class 1 medical without eye correction. I obtained my CASA PPL(a) when I was 19, but have not flown for the past 18 months due to angst caused by this condition. My current vision is 6/7.5 left and 6/6 right corrected with spectacles. As you can see my vision has deteriorated over the past 5 years.

Distance correction: SPH CYL AXIS

RIGHT -0.25 -1.00 80
LEFT -0.50 -1.75 105

My question is directed to professional pilots who have keratoconus in regards to night flying. While driving at night I see halos extending down from around the head lights of on coming traffic, from around a distance of 200-500 metres. I work airside at Melbourne Airport, which includes driving on the taxiways and aprons but these lower intensity lights don't seem to produce any significant halos at all. I'm wondering if anybody else has similar problems with their keratoconic eyes from lights they encounter while flying at night?

I have 250 hrs TT and would like to begin flying again and study for a CPL. My condition is not advanced enough to be considered for intacs surgery due to the associated risks and I will have an initial consultation in the coming months for C3-R collagen cross linking.

mm