PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - drug & booze testing
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 23:03
flying-spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AS4308 The drug testing standard

D and A testing will be conducted in accordance with this standard so I suggest that anybody having a concern read this before getting too carried away. In very recent times I helped introduce drug and alcohol testing to an aviation workplace as a contract requirement not a legislated requirement. Overwhelmingly the workforce concerned welcomed the testing as the feeling was "I want to be happy that person I am working with is not under the influence of drugs or alcohol." Our testing was based on the traditional breath testing for alcohol and urinalysis for drugs as there was no standard for saliva testing at that stage. That has now changed.
The program was preceded by an education campaign to allow users to get clean. (anything up to 4-5 weeks for THC).
Then the whole workforce was tested to under a no penalty protocol to establish the extent of random testing required. As there were no positives this was set at 50% of the workforce/annum.
If you read the standard there are strict chain of evidence requirements imposed. If there is a break in the chain the sample is void.
As a rule there is no penalty attached to an initial positive test. That only kicks in after a positive test is confirmed. That doesn't mean an individual would not be stood down on full pay pending the confirmation test as a safety precaution.
If you think you may be under the influence DON'T WORK. If you are taking over-the counter medication , declare it to your employer. Pseudoephedrine found in cold and flue medications will test as ephedrine until the sample is tested by gas chromotography to reveal a more definitive result. If you are prescribed medicine ask your doctor if it could adversely effect abiltiy to function in your particular workplace.

As professionals we submitted to regular tests and checks to confirm our ability to perform our jobs. These tests are just doing the same thing but in a different area of our professional lives. I hope this a help.