PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yanks in the Falklands War?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 21:58
MAINJAFAD

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
In fact, reading Jerry Pooks' excellent book ' RAF Harrier Ground Attack Falklands ' the French helped out a great deal with DACT involving Mirages & Super Etendards.

His book also backs up a great deal of what 'Sharkey' Ward mentioned, in that his team on Invincible were the only Seajet pilots fully trained up on the Blue Fox radar, and there was a serious lack of intelligence - in every sense - from Hermes - sorry if that doesn't suit some people, as it seems fashionable to knock Sharkey, but it all has a sadly 'ring true' factor to me...
Well just read it on your recommendation, and with chapters like, ‘More Navy Cockups’ and ‘Yet More Navy Cockups’ with explanations on how advice by people who actually knew what they were doing was totally ignored by the Flag staff on Hermes (backed up by Mike Clapp’s book, if you read between the lines). It does have a few errors in it, as does ‘Sea Harrier Over the Falklands’. But on the whole it rings true with what I’ve read on the subject from most sources I’ve seen, including the one I read back in 89 which is still as far as I know classified. Sharkey is wrong about the Vulcan in 'Sea Harrier' (most of his info in the book sounds like hearsay, events he quotes actually happened, but not in the order or circumstances that he places them), in that it was the most effective way of hitting the airfield at Stanley (Like a bomb from 607 did actually hit the runway, how many high altitude ones from the SHAR’s did??? Answer, about zero, I think you will find). As for the Shrike attacks, that TPS-43 was a major thorn in our operations, and the Vulcan ARM missions were the only way of nailing it (as stated, it very nearly came off). As for the TPS-43, I’ve actually been in it, when it was deployed to my unit in the 1990’s. Horrible purple CRT display’s and the inside of the thing was like a freezer, I wouldn’t have liked to have been an Argie operator of it in the Falklands.