PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks
Thread: L@ser attacks
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 18:33
Just a spotter

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, I don't want to take away from the seriousness of the incidents covered here, nor instigate (too much) thread creep.

Summary of incident: An aircraft on departure ex-Moscow Domodedovo was targetted by a green laser at a point approximately 5nm prior to Vinli, and approximately 14,000ft. The laser tracked into Captains left eye, leading to momentary dazzling and some discomfort. Captain recovered, and continued flight as P1 in pilot-not-handling role due residual blurring in left eye.
Has anyone tried to work out the geometry and/or physics involved here? Given the height of the aircraft, the position of the captain in relation to the windows, the fact that the laser would have been pointed from a location (presumably) on the ground diagonally upwards towards the point of contact of the beam with the pilots eye and taking into account the speed of the aircraft across the ground and (presumably) it's rate of climb.

I'm no laser expert, but I assume (and indeed hope) that the kind of device that can pump out enough focused energy to "flash" you at well over 3 miles through the atmosphere and cause "momentary dazzling and some discomfort" with "residual blurring" isn't readily available at your local lasers'r'us.com.

JAS