PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 17th May 2008, 11:05
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently, one or two press reporters have been in the gallery every day, taking notes. I recommend a search through the Sunday papers tomorrow to hopefully see some accurate reporting of this week's evidence.
Edset - lets hope so, however,

Mick Smith (Sunday Times)
Air Cdre Baber is due respect for the way in which he admitted his part in this whole affair but ...... the ultimate blame should not be laid at his door. Money is at the root of all this and he had no control over that.
On the basis of this opinion, we'll see. I hope he (& others) reads your piece above and doesn't rush to potentially erroneous conclusions. You could argue that any excuse for bashing the Govt to better fund the Armed Forces is never a bad idea; however as its not really at the heart of the some of the issues currently coming out of the Nimrod enquiry it could just end up being misleading.

BAe's counsel refuted the suggestion that his client was solely involved in putting the flawed design into the air by producing a document outlining the acceptance, by the RAF, of the SCP design.
This is interesting - perhaps equivalent to saying, "will sold you the car with loose wheel nuts, but you did have a good look around it before we gave you the keys, so you're also partly liable for the fact they came off and it crashed.", though its not quite as simple as this of course.

Tangential rant - I'm no apologist for this govt btw, I just want to see the correct facts emerge so they can be learned from. I'd rather the papers bashed the Govt over the cynical changes to 2009/2010 Car Tax VED; it will be next years 10p tax issue when families face an almost £500/year hike in what it costs to tax their People Carrier and 2nd car - all supposedly in the name of the reducing CO2 when infact an opposite effect is likely with the premature scrapping of cars which are not past their service life, but will have plummeted in value (further hitting the poor who can't then trade them in for low CO2 cars) and are too expensive to tax. Now there is a Govt scandal.