PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF ~ 617 flypast, tomorrow 16 May 08.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 09:53
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool, take some shots! I'd love to see what its like now. Probably pretty much the same as its been for decades. lol

I imagine Flamborough being spiritual in that just as the fighter pilot looks out to sea at Capel, then so too did many crews leave these shores at that point, never to return. I concede 100% the issue of being hard to get to, thats a crying shame and its the only downer with the idea. I suppose that wherever we are, we will remember them though, and that as time continues it will become more about what it represents, not how it can directly benefit 'us' in the here and now. That goes well for the idea of putting a memorial in London too, although it seems to me, to be rather obvious.

Bicester is a great chance to centralise everything that Bomber Command stood for. It has the potential to be not only somewhere for remembrance, a Summer camp/ Learning Centre for Space Cadets, somewhere that is a Halfway House for servicemen leaving the RAF, somewhere that RAF Service charities could be located, somewhere central for Rehab and Resettlement, somewhere for just about anything which Bomber Command stood and fought for. That to me, is the practical side of how we can and must remember them.. not with 'just' a memorial, but something far more tangible and far reaching, something set into trust that will be here in 200 years time.

Nigel Rogoff set off earlier this week from Greenwich. The irony is that it is where Nelson set aside buidlings for Petty Officers and Ratings to be used in times of their need. I took this shot the other week (the place is breathtaking).. and remembered too are those who came here to fight alonside us. Bicester could become the RAF equiv of that - somewhere that we nurture those who follow us tomorrow and where we can take care of those who were here yesterday.

Last edited by Al R; 17th May 2008 at 19:13.