PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 crew 727?
Thread: 2 crew 727?
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 08:03
SIUYA

Received 81 Likes on 25 Posts
3 Holer............

I reckon you're right about TIM's mate.

Having said that, a 2-man version of the B727 was on the drawing board in the 90's. In 1995 Aeroworks and Gull Electronic Systems offered a conversion for a 2-man B727 cockpit, eliminating the F/E position. The "DuoDeck" conversion was reportedly "largely based on the Boeing 737-200 cockpit, and Aeroworks claimed that the 2-man cockpit modification would save B727 operators $350,000-$650,000 an aircraft annually in labour and support costs.

That would have been a pretty sizeable saving in terms of 90's $$$s.

The company proposed that DuoDeck would be installed during a scheduled C-check.

I don't know if any of the "DuoDeck" 2-man conversions were ever actually completed, but I can remember seeing a photograph of the mock-up of a 'DuoDeck" cockpit a long time ago!

Re the Ansett 767s..............I seem to recall that they were actually built as 2-man cockpit aircraft, then virtually rolled straight back into the Boeing factory where the 2-man cockpit was removed and the special Ansett 3-man cockpit was installed!

VERY expensive aircraft doing it that way! And it cost a hell of lot to reconvert them back to 2-man versions too!