PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF ~ 617 flypast, tomorrow 16 May 08.
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 07:12
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacko,

The memory of Bomber Command has been served well this past month - the Vulcan and 617, and the time is perfect to give things a little push. I don't think the time will ever be as right as it is at the moment, public opinion would seem to be with the campaign and it seems to be establishing critical mass. Robin Gibb was on the BBC last week, breathing life into thing again and it can only be a matter of time. I agree too that Coastal Command, in fact all of 'em, should have their own proper memorials. Bomber Command, if it were to have anything, should have somewhere spiritual and somewhere more earthy too. Flamborough Head would offer a superb location, be slightly closer to the heart of things (as well as being less London-centric, but thats not the main issue..) and would also be in keeping with the ethereal feel of Capel le Ferne.

On a more practical note, the Bomber Command Heritage RAF Bicester (Bisto!) campaign cruises on. This is the ideal opportunity to preserve something tangible for the future (I wonder what apathy the person who fought to save HMS Victory had to endure?) and yet all the MoD seems to be doing, is allowing the place to rot away so that it can sell it off with a clean beaurocratic conscience. It is the ideal, the perfect location for many educational/youth/veteran etc activities and would offer the Bomber Command legacy an enduring and practical outlet. Another member here (bc heritage) and involved with that campaign from the outset summed it up:

However, a suitable place should not be tainted by facts like geographical location, special ops, largest amount of ordinance dropped by Sqdns, biggest aircraft, or biggest runways. It is about future generations remembering those of the Command in the best possible environment, when we ourselves are no longer on this Earth.
RAF Bicester offers all that, and more. I am looking forward to meeting up with them there, a week tomorrow. And although I can't speak for Tony and the guys, I am sure that they would be more than welcome to get the message across to as many as possible.. including those who have the practical means to give things a shove.

Edit: Shamelessly nicked from The Telegraph.

Last edited by Al R; 17th May 2008 at 08:26.