PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNav and VFR
Thread: RNav and VFR
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2008, 06:48
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Frothy' it is indeed a good post you have started here. I come across this exact situation a lot & always give the details of the RNAV app that I may be conducting in chart format & plain language just for the reasons you state.
Rather than state VH-XXX at XXXNG I would say Vh-XXX at XXXNG 10 miles to the east on the RWY 26 GPS/RNAV Approach. I rarely say RNAV stand alone because there would be some VRF drivers out there that are not too famil with what goes on with RNAV appr's but will almost certaintly know the term GPS, how it's done is irrelevant to them.

I think you will find that anyone using an airport (CTAF-R or not) on a reg basis under the VFR best get famil with that airports rwy approaches even for no other reason than to gain some insight as to which direction these GPS/RNAV guys might be coming from.

I'm not too sure what the basic VRF training syllabus is these days for learning about such things as RNAV appr's (not the actual app but how there executed by the IFR guys) & there use to be expected in & around a lot of country airfields these days. Might be a good idea to teach some basics of it at an early stage if not already done

Anyway good point in question 'frothy'

CW

Last edited by Capt Wally; 17th May 2008 at 13:05.