PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot charged for taking helicopter shopping
Old 16th May 2008, 16:10
Nubian

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Helipolarbear,
I think you should check your % figure of enginefailure in twins, as I don't think it is as high as 99,999999%
I will agree, that you'll have more power to control an emergency landing but it is a bit more complex than "engine failure!.....doesn't matter as we have another one....."

If you refer to new performance Class 1 helicopters, I agree, but if you say twin in general......then you must include all those 105's, 355F's, 109A, 222A, 76A and so on.
These helicopters my friend DON't have the neccesary performance when operated at GW in normal conditions (not to mention hot/high) to have a failure a the most critical point AND fly away and land somewhere nice as you say...

Until just some years ago, the only TRUE twin flying was the Bell 214ST which could loose one engine at GW, OGE, hot and still continue the take-off. All others have to in BEST case reduce GW and in most cases land back on before DP or Vtoss OR get the speed

Now, when you also include to engine failures the lack of fuel (flameouts of various fuel related nature), you can rest assured that twins will stop when they are not properly fed as well

I am not trying to say that twins are not safe or for that matter dosen't make a diffrence. Just saying that, just cause you have two engines on your back it is important NOT to become complaceant and think you'll never need to think about shooting an auto again in your life.

Well, I guess this was abit off topic of the thread, but initially the remark was ment as a joke

Regards