PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SLF getting worse?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 12:46
YONGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you think about it, the flying experience takes away a lot of the freedom and choice that many people take for granted on a daily basis. People who are used to dishing out orders and not being questioned are suddenly put into the position where they are on the receiving end by people who they deem to be in a much lower social position (ie we crew). "fasten your seatbelts, no smoking, turn off your phone, turn off you blackberry, shut down your computer, return to your seat etc etc" Also we dictate at what time they will eat, how much they will drink, when they will sleep (dimming lights etc). This removal of control and power threatens some people and they can't handle it.

Now don't get me wrong, my biggest bug bare is people with no manners. All I ask for is a please and thank you and even eye contact when I offer you something rather than being dismissed with a wave of your hand. However I think that rather than saying that people are generally ruder these days we have to look at possible psychological reasons behind it.

Oh and one more thing whilst I am on the subject...jackets. Why oh why when we are in the middle of boarding on a single-aisle aircraft do people up the front insist on waving their jackets in your face or even worse going into the wardrobe themselves. It slows down proceedings, we get in the way of boarding customers and then have to fight our way back to the front. I know you are all very important people who have to have your phones on until the very last minute and have to switch them back on the minute the plane touches the ground (thats if you haven't ignored our instruction to turn them OFF in the first place) but please have an iota of patience.

And the final thing...why oh why would i want to touch your boarding card when it has been in your mouth?????

I love my job and I would not stop saying please and thank you to someone who did not reciprocate..I was brought up with manners and taught how to be civil and refuse to lower myself down to some peoples standards.

Rant over..safe flying everyone