PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 11:21
scribbler614

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gentlemen, apologies. An explanation is required. Nothing fishy here.

The article was indeed written by me. To my frustration it didn't get used in my newspaper last Saturday so I posted it here, feeling that it was an important development and some here might be interested.

That's why a google search will only show this thread.

Vulcan To The Skies sent me a press release last Thursday (I've pasted it below), flagging up the next day's flight back to Bruntie, and warning of the financial problems and the risk that this might be the last flight. You'll see that the email subject is 'Vulcan's last hurrah?' Their words, not mine.

I rang Paul Muckle - who many of you will presumably know, and discussed it further with him, and quoted him in the article in question. As I say, to my frustration, my bosses weren't sufficiently interested to run the article.
Far from my wanting to spread fear and despondency, Paul M actually thanked me for taking an interest and welcomed some publicity to highlight the financial problems going forward.

Yes, I'm a journalist. No secret. I've never pretended otherwise. For those who are faintly interested my name is Matthew Hickley and I've been defence correspondent at the Daily Mail for the past 10 years. There, I've blown it.

I've just spoken to Paul Muckle again this morning. He tells me the latest state of play is:
- One more test flight needed for radios, expected soon.
- CAA permit hoped for within the next month.
- No more money left for airshows 'for the time being'. Efforts continue.

Daddly flm, you went to last Sunday's AGM, which I didn't, and by your account Andrew Edmundson gave a more up-beat view of the accounts.
I supopse either he or Paul or exaggerating. I've no way of knowing who, but quite often we hacks have no choice but to take an organisation's official spokesman at their word.

I hope very much to see the old girl wowing the crowds at airshows soon. For one thing I'd love to take my sons along and explain what all the fuss is about. And I've never heard those engines up close.

To those who doubted my veracity - Mig15, forget, Eagle402 - I'm outraged but I can see why.
My article was properly sourced. It seems the Telegraph has covered the same story and, unlike my own organ, actually found room to print it.

I assure you I'm no troll, walt or wannabe. I trust any ppruners who know me 'en clair' will vouch for me.

Original press release below:

"Paul Muckle" <[email protected]>
08/05/2008 16:00
To: "'Tamara Thompson'" <[email protected]>
cc:
Subject: Vulcan's Last Hurrah?
Words:

Hi,

It has just been confirmed that Vulcan XH558 has completed her flight
testing programme and will return to Bruntingthorpe from RAF Coningsby
tomorrow lunchtime with all work necessary for a CAA Permit to Fly complete.
The paperwork will be submitted after landing and then everyone faces an
anxious wait for approval. I have attached the original press release
covering completion of testing for your review.

The joy of completing the Vulcan to the Sky project's primary objective may
be overshadowed however, as once she is returned to her hangar there's no
guarantee she'll come out again. A commercial sponsor has still not been
found and financial uncertainty shrouds the Vulcan's future.

It would be great if you could join us tomorrow for this momentous occasion,
and give us the media support and coverage we need to attract a sponsor.

It may also be your last chance to see a Vulcan fly.

Please let me know if you can make it, so I can warn the team at
Bruntigthorpe of expected numbers. Bring your own high-vis if possible, and
hopefully I'll see you around 11.00 tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Paul

---
PAUL MUCKLE Public Relations Manager

Rock Kitchen Harris Ltd, 31 Lower Brown Street, Leicester LE1 5TH
0116 233 7500 | www.rkh.co.uk | Reg. No. 1589727