PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The value of the ASIC
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 10:52
Pinky the pilot
Man Bilong Balus long PNG

Location: Looking forward to returning to Japan soon but in the meantime continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts
Slight thread drift

Oh to go back in time, no ASIC , very little bitching, airmanship was alive and well, ATC and FSU helped you out of spots you possibly shouldn't have been in.
Pilots could actually read a map and correct drift. Young blokes probably wouldn't know the 1:60 Rule. DON'T PANIC the GPS has dropped out.
There was nothing wrong with Full Position Reporting, and most importantly the Comraderie amongst Pilots at all Levels.
Frothy; Aint that the truth!! I did my training to CPL level in the early 80s when the 'golden days' were on the wane but I remember vividly attending an 'open day' at YPFL on a wintry day in 1970 as a student of a boarding school. (had to have written permission of my parents to absent myself from the College for the day)

It was a positively freezing day so at one stage I found my way into the then Rossair offices and despite the fact I had no money I was told by some of the pilots there to ''help yourself to the hot chocolate machine and don't worry about paying, one of us will see to it!''

Had a good listen to the talk bandied around the place that day, a good chat to some of the blokes and learned a lot. I have never forgot the friendship/camaraderie shown that day.

Sadly, these days it seems it was another planet upon which all this occurred!!