PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North East UK Police Helicopter might be closed
Old 16th May 2008, 10:39
B.U.D.G.I.E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timmy
It’s not a PCSO /Special rant at all. Both have there place in a modern police force. The point is that forces are just trying to save money and after spending 4.5 mill getting the best kit on a great aircraft why then play the penny pinching game.

Let’s face it would you put a low hour CPL(H) into a police role machine because it’s cheaper. So why go down the line of putting civilians in the aircraft to save money. Then to fill the hole of them not being police officers make them specials or PCSO’s ( not that there are police officers at all).

But infact when you look at shift allowance, weekend working, travelling expenses, night allowance and the fact that they can say no and not turn up for work. There are not actually cheaper at all.

There are some very willing and able officers who go onto being police constables, there are also some very poor police constables who should not be in the job. But when forces talk so much about best value why put the wrong people in the wrong job just to save money. It makes no sense at all. Lets face it the bean counters in this industry have absolutely no idea what happens at the pointy end and I know they don’t care. They would much rather save a pound today and pay a million out next year in litigation. (comments made which can be proved)

Going back onto the topic of this thread the only reason a police force is deciding to cut an aircraft is so that decision maker can get promoted.