PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAWB : Ticking Time Bomb?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 07:51
Jamex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a problem at FAGM as well. One of the biggest concerns is the amount of not-relevant info taking up valuable RT time and resulting in an unnecessary severe pressure burden on student pilots. The other day I flew into Rand for the first time in years. I tried calling Rand inbound and eventually get a chance on the busy airwaves only to be told "I will call you back." Three orbits over RD later and no call back, I call again only to get the same response. Another two orbits with aircraft departing under me for the GF, I call again and finally get cleared to 35 with an instruction to call on final 35. On short final and still no opportunity to make this call due to excessive radio chatter (including some idiot advising he thinks Rands QNH is wrong because his altimeter tells him this and ATC asking him what he would like the QNH to be!!) I finally get a belated "cleared to land" call from ATC when I'm already over the threshold. I have flown in various countries and in a variety of aircraft types. I was getting very frustrated in the above-mentioned scenario and can only imagine what a student pilot must feel in this environment. The type of chatter going on and the unnecessary questions from ATC to just about every a/c that called him, the huge amounts of double transmissions which are no good to man or beast, the discrepancy in performance between "ultralight" type aircraft with amazing climb rates and little forward movement over the ground vs standard Cessnas, Pipers and a few Kingairs thrown in (even a DC9) is entirely unacceptable and it is only a matter of time before we have a catastrophe. I can remember when I was a student at Rand there would be up to seven aircraft in the circuit and you could still keep track. Today I heard two aircraft in the circuit and another one calls to do circuits only to be advised by ATC that the circuit is "saturated!?" The circuit is not "saturated" only the airwaves are. If ATC themselves would cut down on all their added chatter the circuit would handle more aircraft.