PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Combined Asthma, peak flow, and spirometry thread
Old 16th May 2008, 05:55
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi MrBrightside.

The variation in your peak flow rate is marginal, but don't fall into the trap of placing too much emphasis on the figures alone. We have to look at the bigger picture.

A couple of points:

Asthma can sometimes be quite difficult to diagnose with any certainty.

Doctors (and nurses, and sometimes surgeons) can sometimes be a"prickly" lot and resent being told what to do, but I do think that it is important that you stress the importance of an accurate diagnosis to your GP- does he realise the implications of labelling you as "asthmatic", on your future career.

He may even be aware of the newly released guidelines to managment and care of asthma.... http://www.sign.ac.uk/pdf/qrg101.pdf , although I'd resist the temptaion to print him a copy!

I know more about asthma than I do about aviation medicine, but from experience of these pages, it'd seem that mild asthma doesn't seem to be a problem for aviation medicals. (Try a search)- although the RAF seem to be stricter.

I expect the quack will be interested in the severity of your symptoms, how it affects your day to day life, and hospital admissions due to asthma.

Keep us posted.