PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spin Recovery
Thread: Spin Recovery
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 20:45
rodthesod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark1234 and markkal please note:
I'm undoubtedly going to expose my own ignorance here, but.. how can you be in a spin (beyond maybe the initial 2-3 turns when you may be still travelling 'along'), when the aeroplane is 89-91 degrees nose down?
If you read my post22 again you'll see that I'm not referring to academic premeditated spin entries, stabilised spins and 'standard' recoveries. In my foolish youth I entered a lomcevak in my Rothman's Pitts S2A from a 45degree climb on knife-edge, and rarely had more than 700ft agl at entry (that's the foolish bit). By the time I'd 'recovered' to the down vertical I was free-falling at idle power with controls neutral and usually between 550 and 600 ft agl. I completed the manoeuvre over 100 times and only 2 went pearshaped after the 'recovery' - the aircraft was rolling without control input, and I assumed that the reason was an auto-rotational condition. The only significance of my remark about 89-91 degrees n/d is that it affects the 'subsequent' recovery actions and with only 2 or 3 seconds to get it right before an 'Oh Christ' pull-out it was nice to have a T&S that never lies about yaw direction.

Double Zero

If in a spin , just MAKE A BIG CHANGE OF INPUT - whether any control surface, airbrake if you have one, or throttle, just make the input change & de-stabilse the spin.
Believe Ghengis and tightflester, NOT your friend. Unless ALL else has failed. My previous post on another thread re spinning an MU2B-40 explains my last remark.

Regards to all,

rts