PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest on CityJet
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 19:17
Jetfella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quality of life

I believe the common thread for 95% of us 35-45yr old guys and gals,is the desire for quality of life.What does it mean?,a balance on giving what you can to your employer,and getting your down time in return,and a reasonable expectation that you will get a/l,and also that you wont be called on your days off with changes etc.Basically a chance to forget your a Pilot/Cabin Crew,for a few precious days,before returning to work refreshed,and not confrontational.
Few companies can achieve this ideal,but quite a lot have realised they need to keep the folks upfront sweet,and have improved conditions for employees.
Cityjet do no such thing unfortunately.Maybe its because they have hands full with legal actions left right and centre,maybe they are pressurising crewing staff too much.Whatever the reason,they,make a whole lotta promises and deliver diddly squat.The company is in a mess unfortunately,and it stems from the "air france" mentality.Meaning,historically,big brother has been there with wads of cash to bail em out.This is no longer the case in these days of rising fuel costs and fierce competition my friends!
You cant buy pilots nowadays,the lifestyle thing has to fit.
How many capts and f/os have had to scream down the fone,or be screamed at on a regular basis,when in fact,a simpler way exists.Noone in wx is smart enough to see this big picture.There exist a large band of merry men and women called "HR" at Wx,their job?,well,,thats the embarrassing bit,shuffle a pen between coffee breaks,catch the latest gossip,hang out in the corridor.It has never occurred to anyone of them apparently what HR actually means.
The top ten companies to work for,know exactly what it means.
Sure,not everyone is gonna be happy all the time,but a compromise can exist between company and employee,hence my reason for saying wx is not for a family guy/gal.
Perfect for a 250hr cadet,twentysomething,single,cut off my right hand for a job...but alas for the more experienced pilots,its just not an option,
anyway,its such a shame,because a smart whizzkid could stir that place up,but its not gonna happen.
too many dinosaurs......ciao za