PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL query
Thread: PPL query
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 14:31
Storm_Surfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,

I knew I’d create a stir. I’m not meaning to create argument, just to pass on some advice to Alex. In order to make any good decision you need to cover all angles, evaluating every possible route and making what you feel to be the best.

Berksflyer, I agree partly with your first post. Yes most people on PPRUNE wanabees would agree it’s a stupid post. Most pilots working for the major airlines, lets face it ‘we’ are the ones with the real knowledge and experience, would completely disagree.

Bajadj, you need to look at the bigger picture. 65k is a lot of money, which ever way you look at. Well that was the cost when I trained, now it is probably more. You could go a cheaper route and maybe get a FATPL for 40k. Start with a PPL doing the odd day here and there working your normal job. However in your normal job you’re not going to progress any further because that’s not where your passion lies. 5 years later you’ll have your licence, its cost you 40k and now you have to find a job, not looking that attractive to the big players.
Or you could work your arse off for 2 years, do every bit of overtime you can and save every penny. Once you have enough for the course (plus the huge bank loan) spend 16 months doing your integrated ATPL. Allow 8 months for job hunting (you can start to work again), every airline will be potentially interested in you. That’s you in your first job within 4 years, earning maybe over 50k in your first year (yes it is possible).

Rugbyears, naivety at it best – I don’t think so. I can tell you a story which shows naivety at its best. I went into my local flying club a while ago. There was a fairly low cloud base, so no flying was in progress. In the lounge there were 4 flying instructors. One was a retired atc dude, he decided to become a flying instructor in his twilight years, fair enough. The other three were all around my age, late 20’s. They told me there final aim was to become airlines pilots and instructing was a stepping stone. All three at the time had more total hours than me, over 500. 500 hrs plus and not one hour in a jet, my 146th flying hour was in an A319, my 147th was in an A320 fully loaded with passengers. Yes the first 2 years or so I may be in more debt than them, but I’m probably nearly earning all their salaries combined. They spend their days flying around in PA28’s earning next to nothing building worthless hours. Airlines aren’t interested in single engine hours.

Berksflyer, and back you. I do not know it all, no one does and no one every will. I’m willing to take advise and learn from everyone. That’s the easy way, the hard way is to make the mistakes yourself. I gather from the anger in your posts you are a true wannabe. PPRUNE can be a very negative site. Meanwhile I am talking from real experience, I’m in my second airline job working for the airline everyone wants to work for. I am at the sharp end quite literally living the dream. If anyone wanted advise on how to get here, I’m sure people would want to hear it from the person with the experience.

Alex, finally back to you. Your job now is to do all the research you can and to make the decision yourself, for what you think is best for you. Get your medical out of the way, which you’ve already done, top move. Have a couple of trial lessons, to make sure you’re not scared of enclosed spaces or something silly. Then come up with the best plan to get where you want to be. Just don’t be short sighed look at the big picture.

To fly is a passion which can’t be explained, if you have it, trust me you’ll love flying. When I’m on holiday, I look forward to going back to work. Sad I know!

Anyway, best of luck to all of you, even Berksflyer.
SS