PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantas Engineers Set to Strike
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 05:47
cjam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terresa Green, I definately wasn't meaning to be derogatory when I called lame's blue collar workers, sorry if it came across like that. The term probably conjurs up different images in my brain than it does in yours, I associate it with hard working/honest people who are productive. I dug this definition up on a web site;

"The term blue-collar is derived from uniform dress codes of industrial workplaces. Industrial and manual workers wear durable clothing that can be soiled or scrapped at work. A popular element of such “work clothes” has been, and still is, a light or navy blue shirt. Blue is also a popular color for coveralls, and will usually carry a name tag of the company/establishment on one side, and the individual's name on the other. Often these items are bought by the company and laundered by the establishment as well."

During the seven years I was fixing planes I pretty much always wore " a light or navy blue shirt. Blue is also a popular color for coveralls, and will usually carry a name tag of the company/establishment on one side, and the individual's name on the other".
Cheers.
PS Did you guys strike? I passed through Brisbane and saw plenty of guys/gals on the tarmac and we weren't delayed.