PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 02:02
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There were other casualties on board other than the RAF aircrew the relatives, friends and colleagues of whom would surely like to know the full story.
The loss of those personnel on board also had a great impact on a large section of the British people who would surely be interested in the full story.
However, that the crash happened in an RAF a/c and any hope of understanding anything much about the crash depends upon debate amongst those with knowledge and experience of the a/c, operations, avionics, etc those with an interest would naturally be drawn to a forum such as this.
I don't know of any better forum and so believe that not only should some inquiry beyond just the legal details of clearing their names be tolerated but also supported constructively.
We don't want debate to be gagged as so many inquiries are by sticking rigidly to a narrow scope (eg Hutton).
Yes we would all like to see the pilots' names cleared - the campaign's main thrust is quite right, that there was never evidence to justify that verdict - but there are indeed so many unanswered questions that still can be answered.
I personally believe that the harsh verdict was politically motivated to discourage speculation in the first place ("Look folks, it was just a case of pilot error beyond any doubt whatsover - look at the verdict!") and I do not believe that anything that could be uncovered would be prejudicial to overturning that unjust verdict - you all should have that confidence if you have faith in the pilots' abilities.