PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA hero wants to quit
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 00:31
bugg smasher
quidquid excusatio prandium pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although it has been expressed on this thread several times, I think some things bear repeating here.

Given the very last-minute nature of the emergency, I think Capt Burkhill and his first officer acted as all of us would have done in a similar situation, there but for the Grace of God go I and all of my miserable ilk.

Recent aviation history is replete with examples of pilots suddenly faced with situations that they not only did not train for, but could never have; scenarios of unforeseen, technically-induced, digitally generated chaos that somehow slipped through the minutiae of the engineering and design processes employed by the aircraft and engine manufacturers. (Perhaps a few less pub visits lads, a little more concentration if you please.)

That every passenger and crew member walked away from this accident with body and soul still conjoined should be sufficient judgment of this crew, to suggest otherwise is an expression of the meanest churlishness. In my mind they are, in fact, heroes. All of them, the entire cabin and cockpit crew that day. I suspect anyone who has more than a passing knowledge of this business would agree.

On a more personal note, Capt Burkhill, you rock brother, you can fly my wife and kids anytime, anywhere. If the BA Office of General and Very Annoying Minions is giving you problems, we could use a guy like you here in New York City!

bugg