PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2008, 00:25
chedchenko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 3, Fri 9th May.

Just wondering if any of the 4 guys from last Fridays Stage 3 in London have had any feedback from H.R.? I'm still waiting myself to see if Sir Alan's gonna hire or fire me!! Besta Luck guys!! -Irish Steve

The best advice I can give anyone about to go through the Stage 3 interview is make sure you visit at least 1 control tower and 1 area centre... I visited Manston (kent), Stansted, Gibraltar (when on holiday) and Swanwick all in the last 5 weeks and it gave me so much scope and material (15mins. worth) to talk about during the interview- PRICELESS!!

Also, it's well worth reading "Air Traffic Control" by Graham Duke which I borrowed from my local library. I only read this once and the chapter about the Uberlingen Air Collision really stuck in my mind which gave me 2-3 mins. of material to talk about! My interview was 75mins long!

You will be asked some very awkward questions regarding hypothetical A.T.C. workplace scenarios including "What would you do if an A.T.C.O. friend came to work with a strong smell of Alcohol on him?" or " what would you do if a senior A.T.C.O. forced you to do a procedure different to the way you were taught by your trainer who was now on leave?" these indeed are tough questions but if you keep a cool head and answer as rationally as poss. maybe trying to think how you'd deal with these problems in your current job or workplace........ you'll be fine!

Even though I was'nt asked one single technical question other people at the same interview were so it's vital you read over the online technical notes N.A.T.S. provided you with at the earlier stages, make sure you know the basics!

Make sure you remember what you wrote on your online application as I was grilled on all previous employment and education history some of which I could barely remember which raised an eyebrow or two!!

Finally, the H.R. person will ask questions like "Have you ever been under pressure? Give me an example of a time when you failed something badly? Give me an example of a time when you worked in a team to achieve a common goal? Has someone ever made you change your mind?" ...... some of these type of questions are there to try to draw your weaknesses or faults out so when you do give an example (of say when you failed an objective) always try to finish on a positive note by saying something like "it was an invaluable experience which has given me a greater presence of mind".... blah-blah-blah!

Well I hope this has been some help, I'm still none the wiser whether I got through to the college so fingers crossed!!

Watch this Space. - Chedchenko.